Kids

Kids

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Homemade Rolls

My friend Katie's mom makes these absolutely delicious rolls! I have wanted to conquer making homemade bread and here it is!!!! I was so excited tonight when they turned out! It is a a process that takes hours of waiting around for the dough to rise three separate times but it is so fun! I feel so old-school making things from scratch! If you know me then you know I love being super traditional. If it were up to me I would practice arranged marriages!

I made this tonight with beef and barley soup. Another meal Brian was super excited about. I love when my husband enjoys meals I prepare for him (there have been a few that did not turn out). And I have tried making rolls a couple times so I am happy these came together! Praise God for giving me the ability to work in the home and take care of my family. He has blessed my inability to cook and gave me some talent I very much needed.

1 C. milk
¼ C. sugar
1 t. salt
1 egg
¼ C. margarine
3 ¾-4 C. flour
2-3 t. yeast

Heat milk to 115-118 degrees, and then add the sugar and yeast together, and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then add salt, egg and butter (softened), and mix. Next add flour (about three-fourths of the amount), and mix well. Then add just enough of the flour that is left is left to make the dough not too sticky (easy to handle).

Knead the dough by hand or with a mixer until the dough is smooth and elastic and doesn’t stick to the board (about 5-10 minutes). Then put it in a greased bowl, and turn once (so that all the dough has a little bit of grease on it).

Cover with a damp paper towel, and let rise in a warm place until it has doubled in size, about 1 ½ - 2 hours (if it is cold outside, turn on the oven for 15-30 seconds and then turn off and put the dough in there). If you press two fingers into the dough gently and they leave a mark that doesn’t fill, then it’s done. Then punch the dough down and let it rise again until it’s almost double (about 45 minutes).

Next shape into about 18 rolls and set out on a greased cookie sheet to rise again. When you poke your finger in gently and it leaves a mark they are done (roughly 30-45 minutes). Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment